Solange Is Top 10
The multi-talented rising star, Solange (Singer, Songwriter, Artist, Choreographer, Video Director, Executive Producer and more), makes a splash with the release of her new album, SoL-AngeL and The Hadley St. Dream (Music World Entertainment/Geffen Records), entering the Top 10 (#9) on “The Billboard 200 Chart.” The album is Top 5 (#3) on Billboard’s “Top R&B/Hip-Hop Albums” chart and Top 10 (#9) on the “Billboard Comprehensive” chart.
Released on August 26th and musically compared to the likes of Gnarles Barkley, Little Jackie, Dusty Springfield and Amy Winehouse, Solange’s SoL-AngeL and The Hadley St. Dreams has already produced two hit singles: “I Decided” and “Sandcastle Disco.” “I Decided” has enjoyed the top spot on industry charts including, #1 on Billboard’s “Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Singles Sales” chart (currently #9), #1 on Billboard’s “Hot Dance Singles Sales” chart (currently #4) and reached #2 on Billboard’s “Hot Singles Sales” chart. In addition, “I Decided” has been #1 on iTunes’ R&B Chart for 9 weeks in a row while “Sandcastle Disco” has been #1 “Most Viewed Video” on MTV.com.
The album reviews are pouring in from the critics:
* LA Times tells us that SoL-AngeL is “an appealingly freewheeling set of lightly psychedelic soul music that shares the retro-futuristic vibe of Gnarles Barkley”
* NY Times says “it’s impressive”
* USA Today says Solange is “moving in a good direction”
* Entertainment Weekly heralds the album as “Tasty” (B+)
* US Weekly gives Sol-AngeL three out of four stars
* Houston Chronicle gives Solange three and Â½ out of four stars and says there are interesting twists in every song
* Giant Magazine says its “[Solange’s] candor that makes [her music] so relatable”
* Newsweek calls Solange “Savvy”
* Time Out NY says “The new disc’s mix of retro-cool beats, head-trip electronica and straight-talking sass relocates Solange somewhere in the vicinity of Gnarls Barkley (whose Cee-Lo Green co-wrote two cuts), Raphael Saadiq and Little Jackie, with admiring nods to Dusty Springfield and Martha Reeves.”
* Perez Hilton writes he is “totally feeling the new Solange”
* The Boston Globe states that “There’s no way after this [release] that Solange won’t be taken on her own terms because this sister can sing”
On SoL-AngeL and The Hadley St. Dreams, Solange enlisted the who’s who of hot producers and songwriters. The dream team includes: The legendary award-winning Lamont Dozier who teams up with the newest purveyor of Soul, Mark Ronson on the sure to be classic, “6 O’clock Blues,” the forever eclectic Cee-Lo lends a handwriting hand on the Jack Splash produced 2nd single, “Sandcastle Disco,” the constant hit-making Pharrell Williams writes the first single “I Decided” with production from The Neptunes and remix by the Freemasons, and the formidable chart-topping Lil Wayne shares the spotlight on “ChampagneChronicKnightCap.” Other dream makers on SoL-AngeL and The Hadley St. Dreams include Boards of Canada, Soulshock & Karlin, Shea Taylor, Bama Boyz, Bilal and more.
Be sure to check for Solange performing on the following National TV outlets:
Fashion Rocks (September 9 on CBS)
Jimmy Kimmel Live! (September 10 on ABC)
The Tyra Banks Show (September 12 on My9 and Fox)
The View (September 17 on ABC)